Walking around San Pedro de Atacama, you instantly feel as if you have been dropped on the set of a western movie. Today we will talk about the best hotels in San Pedro de Atacama.
In the heart of the driest non-polar desert in the world, the small town of old adobe houses nestled along dusty unpaved roads overlooks an otherworldly landscape of rugged sandstone valleys, dunes, salt flats, boiling geysers and flamingo-inhabited lagoons. All in the shadow of huge snow-capped volcanoes, making it one of the most popular tourist destinations in Chile.
In this mysterious ancient world, it seems as if time has stood still. With clear, starry skies, stunning scenery and activities ranging from sandboarding to hot air balloon rides.
Our collection of the best places to stay in San Pedro de Atacama ranges from modern desert getaways to luxury spa hotels.
No post found!
Best hotels in San Pedro de Atacama
People come to San Pedro for the scenery. Sublime, dreamlike and wild, the region sits in the heart of the Los Flamencos National Reserve – an extraordinary area – and one of the most beautiful in Chile, if not South America.
The Valley of the Moon is one such example: the lunar landscape is dotted with craters, caves and dunes, and is immensely fun to explore. Piedras Rojas is beautiful: a group of red sandstone rocks gently lapped by waves of the warmest blue, made even more impressive by the snow-capped volcanoes in the background.
Throughout this beautiful and arid land are steaming geysers, hot springs that shoot columns of water into the air, best seen at sunrise when the waters glow red and gold. It is worth visiting the Baltinache Lagoon, a salt plain full of blue salt lagoons: like the Dead Sea.
Despite being a remote, almost lifeless and arid land, there are some fascinating historical sites. On the way to Río Grande you will find Yerbas Buenas, a series of petroglyphs, carvings and prehistoric paintings, which offer an enlightening insight into the beliefs and lives of our prehistoric ancestors.
Be sure to visit the Pukara de Quitar, a pre-Inca fortress that is over 700 years old, perched on a hill on the outskirts of town. The village itself is small, a cluster of one-story adobe houses, and aside from the charming little church in the center, there is very little to see.
However, the town is really the beating heart of all the activity in the area, and is where you can book an ATV tour, a hot air balloon ride over the Atacama Desert or a sandboarding session in the “Death Valley”.
But San Pedro’s diminutive size and lack of bustle is where its charm lies: the skies are incredibly clear and are perfect for stargazing, you can even take an astronomical tour.
You will find that the locals exhibit an extraordinary level of energy and positivity, and it is even said that the large amounts of copper and quartz in the region flood the population with good vibes.
NOT TO BE MISSED
- Explore the craters, caves, and dunes of the Valley of the Moon .
- Visit the Piedras Rojas and marvel at the blue water and the volcanoes in the background.
- Sandboard through the dunes of Death Valley!
- Rent a hot air balloon and float above the Atacama Desert.
- Visit Pukara de Quitar, a pre-Inca fortress built 700 years ago.
- Float safely in the salty waters of the Baltinache Lagoon!
This is a popular destination, so to secure a room in one of the best hotels in San Pedro de Atacama San Pedro de Atacama, we recommend planning your trip well in advance.
BEST HOTELS IN SAN PEDRO DE ATACAMA
FOR VOLCANO VIEWS
- Hotel Altiplánico is a charming hotel with excellent views of the volcanoes from its desert location. It is of traditional style, built with mud bricks. The rooms are simple but evocative and are dotted with artifacts and there is a lagoon-style pool.
FOR THE CITY CENTER
- Hotel Pascual Andino is a small boutique hotel with only ten rooms in the center of the city. The design is made of adobe and wood. All of the city’s historic attractions are within walking distance. An authentic Chilean experience.
FOR A LITTLE INSULATION-The best hotels in San Pedro de Atacama
- Cumbres Hotel and Spa is located about 2 km from the village, on the edge of the Atacama Desert. The interiors feature a mix of traditional and modern, with glass walls and wooden furniture. There is a lovely relaxing spa and the desert views are breathtaking.
FOR AN ELEGANT STAY
- Tierra Atacama resort and spa is an elegant hotel in the Atacama Desert and one of the best hotels in San Pedro de Atacama. The rooms are elegant and whitewashed with canopied beds, the bathrooms are contemporary and stylish. The views are great, and there is also a really relaxing spa!
FOR DESERT ELEGANCE-Best Hotels in San Pedro de Atacama
- Awasi Atacama is an ultra cool desert refuge and is also one of the best hotels in San Pedro de Atacama. The style is rustic, the cabins have polished wood floors, adobe walls and traditional tapestries. The food is first class. Great for outdoors.
FOR COUPLES- The best hotels in San Pedro de Atacama
- Explora Atacama is a contemporary hotel that offers simply styled rooms with glass, wood and white background, and spectacular views. Desert expeditions are available and there is a relaxing spa to unwind afterwards! The restaurant serves excellent regional food, a unique stay.
- Alto Atacama is an elegant property located in the heart of the highest desert in the world. The feeling is that contemporary style meets traditional charm. The rooms are spacious and bright and there is a lovely spa.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- Visit Booking.com to see their wide range of villas and apartments.
- Fly to Santiago, then to Calama, where you can take a bus transfer to San Pedro.
- If you wish to rent a car, we recommend that you contact Rentalcars.
- During the summer, the temperature averages around 27 degrees and this is the best time to plan your trip.